Spotlight Oil: Lemon
Most of us associate the fresh, citrusy smell of lemon with the smell of clean. Nearly every household cleaning line on the market uses the scent of lemon in their product. Ever wondered why? Lemons are actually an amazing cleaning product all by themselves. No chemicals needed! Lemon juice has strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It has also been used to rejuvenate skin and flush toxins.
To make one 15 ml. bottle of lemon essential oil, it takes 75 lemons.
Young Living takes the rinds of those 75 lemons and cold presses them to extract their oils. Cold Pressing is the process of grinding a plant or fruit to extract its essential oils. The process must stay within a certain temperature range in order to protect the quality of the oil. There have been a number of studies that show lemon oil to be one of the most “essential” oils to have on hand.
So what can Lemon Oil do for you?
- Lemon oil can be used to purify the air.
- Use lemon oil as a disinfectant around the house. Add 30 drops of lemon oil to a 16 oz. spray bottle of water to clean and sanitize surfaces.
- Dishwasher smelling funky? Add a few drop to the bottom of the dishwasher and run on a sanitizing setting.
- Lemon oil works to upliftand invigorate your mood.
- Use Lemon oil to boost your laundry. Add 4-5 drops to your load and wash as normal.
- Combat oily skin and blemishes with Lemon oil. Add a few drops to a cotton ball and apply to skin. (It is important to note that lemon oil can increase sun sensitivity on your skin. It is not recommended to use the oil right before you go into the sun)
- Lemon is known to flush the body and stabilize metabolism. Use a few drops of oil in your smoothie or water bottle for a refreshing pick-me-up.
- Got gum, grease/oil stains, glue/adhesive, or crayon marks where they aren’t supposed to be? Use lemon oil to remove them. Rub a few drops of oil onto the offending substance and watch it go away.
- Fighting off a cold or struggling with a sore throat? Add a few drops of lemon oil along with some honey to a cup of hot tea.
- Lemon oil works great on wood surfaces. Add a few drops to your dusting rag. Your wood will look great and your room will smell fresh.
Lemon is more than just a pretty smell it really is a workhorse. If you are thinking of adding another oil to your collection, we think this is a must have.