Almond Joys Sweet-n-Salty Snack Mix
Sing it with me….”Sometimes you feel like a nut…….”. Did you sing with me? You just can’t help but sing that iconic theme song. This jingle for my favorite candy bar is timeless and ageless, just like the flavors that make up the Almond Joy. Coconut, chocolate, and almonds… What could make them better?
Yet this was a question I was tossing around in my head this week as I was trying to make a delicious snack mix that my gluten free self would be able to eat and that the family would love.
Finding snacks that taste good and are gluten free can be a challenge. If you do find one that fits all those criteria, chances are that it is going to make a dent in your wallet because gluten free prepared food is pricey. But let’s face it snack foods in general are pricey, gluten free and gluten full alike.
So what can we do about that? We can search high and low for coupons, we can do without, but I don’t really like that choice, or we can find a workaround. I voted for the last option.
This snack mix nods its tastiness to the flavors found in an Almond Joy candy bar. I am not even lying or exaggerating how good this mix is! Even better, is that this mix can be made using only a microwave and in 5 minutes or less. So if you are on the lookout for a great after school snack or a tasty treat that yields a lot, but doesn’t break the bank; this is the mix for you.
- 8 Cups Rice Chex Cereal (or the generic version of this cereal)
- 3 1/2 Cups Chocolate Chips, divided
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp. Coconut Extract
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut Flakes
- 4 Cups Pretzels (mini twists or sticks would work)
- 2 Cups Salted Almonds
- Measure cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave for 30 seconds. At the end of 30 seconds stir and repeat until chocolate is smooth. Once chocolate is melted and smooth add in coconut extract and stir. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir to coat cereal completely.
- Toss powdered sugar and coconut over the cereal and stir to coat. Spread cereal out onto a lined baking sheet to harden.