Probably the single most favorite snack in our house is granola. The family will eat it on ice cream, over yogurt, or straight out of a Dixie cup. The great news is that this granola recipe can be recreated in a variety of flavors (we will get back to this in a minute) and can be assembled in less than 10 minutes, which is great news since we go through a lot of it.
I love that this is the snack of choice for our family because it is loaded with healthy grains, fiber, and nuts for protein. The kids love it because it tastes so good.
The base is always the same, but depending on the additions that you put into your mix, no two batches have to be the same. You can change up the types of nuts used or add in different dried fruits. With the addition of candy pieces, we have made an Almond Joy flavored blend and the husband’s particular favorite, Peanut Butter lovers. This is a great base recipe to have on hand. Play with it and see what flavor combinations you come up with.
- 1 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (vegetable or canola oil would work as well)
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 4 Cups Rolled Oats
- ½ Cup Flax Seed
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Chopped Nuts (I choose two different types of nuts to go in the mix. Pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, peanuts, and cashews all work great)
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Prepare a cookie sheet with a sheet of parchment paper and preheat oven to 325°.
- In a small sauce pan add together coconut oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and cook until all oil is melted and mixture has bubbled. Let cool.
- In a large bowl combine oats, flax seed, brown sugar, nuts, and shredded coconut. Pour in the cooled syrup mixture and stir to combine. Spread the mixture in an even layer over prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes, turning the mixture over in the pan a couple of times throughout the baking period. (I like to use a wide spatula to turn the mix to avoid breaking it up into little pieces.
- Remove from the oven when granola has turned a deep golden brown and let cool. Once cooled add in dried cranberries and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container.