DIY Room Spray With Essential Oils
Because Pets….Because kids…Because sports….
Because body smell….Because sweat….Because bathrooms (yuck)!
Let’s face it, our homes have smells and lots of them. When I grabbed my first spray bottle of air freshener, I thought I had hit the happy smell jackpot. Little did I know the damage I was causing, every time, I sprayed that little bottle into the air of our home.
When the Environmental Working Group tested out a bottle of Febreze, they found that there were shockingly 87 different chemicals to be found in those happy smelling bottles. Surprisingly, or not, depending on who you ask, the makers of this particular air freshener only disclose 3 of those 87 chemicals.
Among the chemicals found, many were known carcinogens, endocrine disrupters, respiratory irritants, and neurotoxins. Just to name a few. The real kick in the pants, is that you would think that all those chemicals should at least do something as useful as purifying the air, NOPE! Shockingly those chemicals only trick your nose into thinking that they have been doing a good job. See they only mask the smells. They don’t purify the air at all.
Our Tip for this Tuesday is to run, don’t walk, with these bottles and throw them in the garbage can!
To replace them, again because smells happen, make your own room purifying spray. This DIY is ridiculously easy (I know everyone says that, but this one truly is!) and it is soooooo much better for you and your family.
Putting It All Together
- In a spray bottle combine 3/4 Cup Distilled Water and 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract.
- Choose your favorite Oil flavors from the blends below and add them to the bottle.
- Replace the nozzle and shake to combine it all together. Spray on all the smells in your home.
Air Purifying Blends
- 10 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 8 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 5 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 8 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Geranium Essential Oil
- 4 drops grapefruit Essential Oil
- 4 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 6 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 10 drops Peppermint
- 8 drops Rosemary
No need for chemicals, side effects or pricey products. Just a few simple essential oils in this DIY Room Spray will keep your home healthy and smelling fresh.