Lemon Pepper Chicken Alfredo
It’s the middle of the week and tonight’s dinner needs to be easy, painless, and comforting. What recipe would you reach for? For our family, this scenario would probably mean that we are heading towards the pasta recipes. Specifically, this particular recipe for Lemon Pepper Fettuccini Alfredo.
My children have a strong love affair with Fettuccini Alfredo. They have tried it in just about every Italian restaurant they’ve ever eaten at and consider themselves experts at this point. If there was a job where they could “go pro” eating noodles dripping with Alfredo sauce, they would be all over it. So, imagine their excitement when I informed them that I had made a few tweaks to their favorite dish. (Insert teenage eye roll here!)
A traditional version of this dish boasts a rich and creamy parmesan sauce that has been slightly kissed with nutmeg. While my version of fettuccini alfredo still has an incredibly creamy parmesan sauce, there have been a few special additions that give this dish a flavor punch.
The first of the special additions to this dish, is lemon pepper seasoning. Cubed chicken gets tossed in the lemon pepper seasoning and then is sautéd in a pan to cook the chicken and give it a tasty golden, brown crust.
It is the next addition that typically raises a few eyebrows!
After the chicken has cooked, it is removed to a bowl and in it’s place an onion slurry is added to the sauté pan. Stay with me here! The onion slurry adds an incredible depth of flavor to the sauce and becomes the tie that binds the whole sauce together.
To make the slurry, just cut a 1/4 of an onion and add it along with some water to a blender or food processor and liquify it. When you sauté this slurry with the garlic it takes on an incredible nuttiness that will set your alfredo apart from all the rest.
The footnote of this recipe story, was that this dish was a huge winner with the “professional alfredo tasters” who live with me. They slurped and licked up every drop of this dish. We didn’t even have any left for lunch the next day. (Note To Self: Next time make a double batch!) They even brainstormed some veggie add in’s and suggested we try the dish with shrimp instead of the chicken. I loved their add in idea’s so much that I included them in the note’s section of the recipe.
I know that your family will love this dish as much as mine did. If you’d like to be the hero of your next dinner hour; give this dish a try!
- 1 1/2 lbs. Cooked Fettuccini Noodles
- 1.5 lbs. cubed chicken
- 2-3 Tbsp. Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 of an onion
- 2-3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 tsp. chopped parsley
- Toss cubed chicken into the lemon pepper seasoning to coat. In a sauté pan drizzled with olive oil; cook the chicken until it is browned and cooked through completely. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add onion and water to a food processor or blender and liquify.
- Melt butter in sauté pan on medium heat. Once butter is melted; pour in onion slurry mix and add garlic. Allow slurry to simmer for a minute before adding in the heavy cream and parmesan. Allow sauce to simmer and thicken slightly (about 2-4 minutes).
- When the sauce has thickened slightly; add in cooked fettuccini noodles, reserved chicken, and parsley. Stir to coat all the noodles and incorporate the chicken. Top with extra parmesan if desired.