Quinoa Taco Bowl
Some of my favorite types of meals are the “everybody in the pot”, dump it all together, and everybody plays nice together kind. That is exactly what this Quinoa Taco Salad recipe is all about.
The foundation of this tasty, healthy salad is quinoa. Don’t get scared! I know quinoa may not be an ingredient that you may be super familiar with, or perhaps you’ve heard it is considered a health food (which it totally is), but quinoa is very easy to make and can adapt to virtually any flavor pallet. The sky really is the limit.
Quinoa is loaded with protein, fiber, and minerals making it known as a “superfood”. A “superfood” is any food that is nutrient rich and known to be especially good for you. Available in three color varieties; red, black, and white. As quinoa has risen in popularity over the last few years, it can be found in virtually every grocery store, typically located where the grains are found.
The Mexican flavors in this Quinoa Taco Salad make it a win in the eyes of my children and that makes it a win in my book. This dish makes a great lunch, snack, or weeknight meal.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix (see previous post)
- 2 cups corn (grilled corn is amazing in this dish)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 3 diced scallions
- 1 diced avocado
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Top with: Cheddar Cheese and sour cream
- To Make Quinoa: Pour quinoa into a fine mesh sieve and rinse with cold water. In a stockpot bring water, quinoa, and seasoning mix to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- To assemble the salad: Stir together prepared quinoa, corn, black beans, tomatoes, salsa, scallions, avocado, and lime juice. (seriously it is just that easy!)