There are very few certainties in life. Fortunately, I can always count on there being a box of spaghetti in my pantry and sausage and marinara sauce in my freezer. These things really come to my rescue on the days when I am staring at the refrigerator, at 5:00, wondering what in the world is for dinner.
Running a business, while homeschooling 3 teenagers, and tackling my daily responsibilities all at the same time is a juggling act on the best days. There are days when just getting to dinner is a struggle, let alone having something on the table when we get there. I could toss spaghetti together and the family would be less than enthused, but using the same ingredients and adding a little twist can turn their frowns around with the quickness. All I need to do is announce that we are having spaghetti pie for dinner and there are little happy dances that will take place all over the house.
There is no flakey crust on this pie. The “crust” is made out of spaghetti that has been mixed with butter, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, and eggs.
I will give you a minute to process that yummy combination…………
The filling of our pie is browned sausage, onion, and spicy marinara. I mentioned earlier that our freezer is always stocked with marinara and that is all thanks to my crock pot. Every time I get down to one container of marinara in the freezer, I just get out the crockpot and crack open a couple of cans. This simple recipe has saved me from more than one dinner disaster, plus it tastes so much better than store bought sauce and you can make it for pennies on the dollar. You can grab the recipe here.
Back to the pie, once the “crust” has been molded to the inside of a pie plate and loaded up with it’s filling, the whole thing goes into the oven to bake. After it has baked for 20 minutes, it gets topped with mozzarella cheese. When the pie comes out of the oven it is ooooey and gooey. Think spaghetti meets lasagna and they had a baby. That baby would be this delicious spaghetti pie.
So the next time you are short on groceries or time, pull this spaghetti pie recipe out and give it a try. Your family will love you forever and think that you slaved for hours. Only you will know that it only takes 10 minutes to prep. I promise your secret is safe with me!
- 6 oz. Spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 1 lb. Pork Sausage, browned
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 2 Cups Spicy Marinara (See Post for Recipe)
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Heat oven to 350°
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and return to pan.
- Stir butter, parmesan cheese, and ricotta cheese to the hot pasta. Mold the spaghetti into a glass pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make a well for the filling.
- While spaghetti is cooking, brown sausage and onion. Once sausage and onion are browned, add in marinara sauce. Pour the filling mixture into the center of your spaghetti crust.
- Place pie dish onto a cookie sheet to prevent spill over. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the pie and top with mozzarella cheese. Return pie to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Let pie rest for a few minutes before cutting.